The New Hamburg Pottery
New Hamburg, Ontario 1854-1916
The New Hamburg Pottery was one of the twelve potteries in Waterloo County, Ontario, during the last half of the nineteenth century. The works was a family-operated business during most of its history. It was owned by members of the Boehler family until 1894 then continued under a succession of owners until 1916. The pottery depended on a local supply of inexpensive clay, lead for glaze, and on a nearby market for the earthenware containers produced at the works. The New Hamburg works was one of the last potteries in the country to close its doors and one of a very few potteries in the province to operate beyond the first decade of this century.
This book provides a history of the pottery, information about the site and the excavations, and the various types of pottery produced.