Content warning for some discussions of violence.
This week I sit down with filmmaker Alba Sotorra to talk about her newest documentary, Commander Arian (shout out to Hot Docs for setting up the interview!). We tackle being a woman documentarian and what it means to be a feminist filmmaker, as well as the work of the YPJ (the Women’s Protection Unit). Here are some links if you’d like to find out more:
- Read more about the YPJ here and here.
- Alba also wants all of you to learn more about Jineology, so here’s an introduction and here’s a more deep-dive article (paywalled).
- Aw heck here’s another article on Jineology.
- If you want to watch some more feminist documentaries, this list is a good starting point.
- And here’s a little more on feminist war journalism.
- Heck, while I’m at it, I wrote an article once on feminism and documentaries.
The podcast theme song is “Mesh Shirt” by Mom Jeans off their album “Chub Rub.” Listen to the whole album here or learn more about them here. Jes’s theme song is “Risk It All” by Helly Luv. This song and video have a super interesting story behind them that is worth reading about.
Secret Feminist Agenda is recorded on the traditional and unceded territories of the Squamish, Musqueam, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.