Two and a half years ago, at a Witch, Please meet-up in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I met a rad artist and Harry Potter nerd who offered to tour Marcelle and me around the Wizarding World of Harry Potter if we ever made it down to Florida. A year ago we took her up on it. And this year Julie Frances and I continued our history of border-crossing collaborations by recording a discussion of tattoos, unpaid internships, transforming industries, and making art. Oh, and crystals and energies and the moon and stuff. Here are some links!
- First up, you should check out Julie’s instagram and also subscribe to her new podcast, Midnight Moonlight
- Here’s a piece about (F)empower and how it’s providing a space for Miami’s queer, femme community, and here’s a bit more about 777 Mall as an art space, and if you’re in or visiting Miami you should definitely check out her newest project, Cafecito Break!
- On the topic of tattoos and healing from trauma, here’s a piece about trauma survivors getting tattooed, and here’s a gorgeous story about a Vancouver tattoo artist who transforms scars into art.
- Want to read more about women and tattooing? There’s a whole freakin’ book about it!
- Oh yeah, and let’s talk about unpaid internships! They are bad and exploitative. They are barriers to success for students of colour, favour the wealthy, and industries that rely on or require them tend to have real diversity problems.
The podcast theme song is “Mesh Shirt” by Mom Jeans off their album “Chub Rub.” Listen to the whole album here or learn more about them here. Julie’s theme song is Kickin’ Back by Mila J.
Secret Feminist Agenda is recorded and produced by Hannah McGregor on the traditional and unceded territories of the Squamish, Musqueam, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.